Skip to main content

FAITH: Judges 5

I'm going to say something that might bother some people, but as a wife of a worship leader and song writer, I've seen some things that others may not have considered before...

Most current mainstream worship music sounds the same and repeats the same effeminate sentiment - "God is beautiful and mighty and protects me." This is a wonderful message, but there many other keys, tempos, styles, and messages that are worship as well. There are also other worship writers besides Chris Tomlin and Hillsong (nothing against them, I just feel like I exclusively hear their writings on the radio).

So often in church, I've seen many men and teens, for example, showing up late to purposefully miss worship. They love the Lord, but they just don't identify with the (corporate) worship. It's hard for some people to understand the same, repetitive sentiment when they're going through some very different things. Or when going through something new, it's easy to sing along without engaging the heart because the heart is elsewhere at the moment.

What I love about Deborah's song in Judges 5, Moses' song, and David's psalms, for example, is that they're written by different people who went through very different experiences. These songs are about victory, prophesy, heart break, betrayal, love, sorrow, etc.

I'm not introspective at all. So when I realize I'm feeling something, I like to flip around in Psalms. There are so many types of worship going on in this book, David was constantly writing when he went through different things, not just when he was feeling lovey dovey for God. Soon enough, I'll find some verses with which to identify. What a wonderful thing it is for a grieving person or someone who was betrayed, or someone whose faith is wavering to find a worship song that speaks directly to their heart yet helps connect their heart to the Lords?

I'm not saying that worship leaders need to run the entire spectrum of emotions in their set lists. What I am saying is that if you feel like you don't connect with worship at the moment, keep looking beyond Jeremy Camp and Kari Jobe. The Bible says there's nothing new under the sun. You're not the only one who is feeling this way or the only one who has undergone that. Someone else who empathizes with you has penned the same feelings along with directing the song to the Lord.

In a nutshell, there are many different types of worship that help bring us closer to the Lord. We should always keep an eye out for it.

Click here to read the entire chapter of Judges 5.  Click here to select a different translation.

Thank you for reading.  Jesus LOVES you.



Would you like to read/see more?  Let's connect on social media!
Like my Facebook - anomalyssa
Follow my Instagram - alyssaam2
Follow my Pinterest - anomalyssablog

Would you like to share this blog post?  Simply select "share' below...

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

FAITH: When I Chose Modesty

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I was extremely immodest. While I was getting ready to go out, my goal was to look as hot as possible and collect as much attention as possible. 

I thought that if I could be the hottest woman in the room, I would be able to capture attention and it would be mine for as long as I wanted. It didn't occur to me that the kind of attention I was seeking is a fleeting kind. In other words, it didn't matter if I was the most beautiful woman that guy had ever seen. The kind of guy who appreciated my immodesty had zero standards whatsoever. He'd hang on my every word until someone else's skin flashed by. He'd flirt with me and then turn around and flirt with every other girl as well. This guy didn't care about whose makeup was better, who was witty, who had better legs, who was nicest, etc. The kind of guy who is attracted to immodesty is only interested in one thing and that's not your heart. This dude has no other standards an…

FAITH: Are You Willing to Give God Anything He Wants?

Push Up popsicles are interesting.  In order to eat more ice cream, you need to literally push up the stick that's connected to the platform in which the ice cream sits.

My toddlers both lack the strength and dexterity to push up their Push Ups, so I have to make myself available to help them out.  One of my boys understands this.  As his ice cream dips below the cardboard container, he'll eagerly hand his treat over so I can push the stick upwards and he can continue eating.  My other boy doesn't yet understand why he needs my help.  He'd rather chew at the cardboard than willingly hand over his treat for two seconds.  Whenever it's time to push up his ice cream, he grips it tight and puts up a fight against me even though my motive is completely for his benefit.  I never take the ice cream for myself, I only obtain the Push Up in order to make it possible for my boys to have more ice cream.  So they don't have to resort to gnawing on soggy cardboard.

This remin…