Skip to main content

FAITH: A Biblical Perspective on Why I Quit Fashion Blogging


Back in 2007-ish, when I religiously followed StyleBytes, Weardrobe, Flickr's Wardrobe Remix, and Style Bubble, I started my first blog.  At first, it was silly ruminations and random writing, but soon enough, I began sharing my daily outfits.
I sold this entire outfit on eBay years ago for ten bucks
The term we now know as "fashion blogging" was called "style sharing" back then.  For the most part, it was a small community of teens and early 20-somethings without money who shared their creativity in making the most of their wardrobes.  We did this by thrifting, fast fashion (Forever 21 and the likes), DIY-ing, and trading closets with one another.  We taught each other to wear dresses backwards, cut up tights to create makeshift sleeves, and how to borrow from men's (and sometimes children's) departments in order to have more (inexpensive) options.
Collectively, I don't think this outfit cost more than $40
The style sharing community encouraged individuality, money saving, and how to have fun with what one already has in their wardrobe.  I learned that my personal style was colorful, miss matched, and eclectic, with a plethora of vertiginous heels.  Like most style sharers, my photos were taken in the privacy of my own apartment with a timer and a cheap digital camera.   No retouching, no proper lighting, no sponsors. Just one or two photos taken at an awkward angle with poor lighting because sharing the idea of the look was more important than a professional photo.  Looking back, I feel like it was automatic for most style sharers pre-2008 to look down as soon as the camera snapped out of sheepishness.  Posting daily photos of oneself online was still a new thing.  Even though we were sharing the creative ways we pieced our looks in order to help inspire others within the community, posting our photos felt silly (at least, for me).
When I grew tired of this corduroy jacket, I cut the sleeves off
Soon enough, fashion and retail websites began highlighting some of these style sharers.  Chictopia and Polyvore were created to encourage people to shop each other's looks.  I was emailed a personal invite to try out this newly created site called Pinterest and give feedback before it launched publicly.  It was fun and interesting when my weekly blog hits increased from 100 to 1,000.  It was curious, yet really awesome when brands asked for my address so they could mail me gifts and gift cards.  Also, it was exciting to receive a $100 deposit from Google once in a while (for ads).
It's not easily visible here, but my "headband" is actually a necklace. Also, I paid 50 cents for that sweater
When word spread that you could become famous, be invited to sit front row at NYFW, or make a living off of posting your outfits online, "style sharing" ceased and "fashion blogging" began.  Around 2008, I remember a dozen or so fashion bloggers wore and posted the same exact dress on the same exact day.  They all got paid a large amount to convince others that they should wear the same dress. That same year, many of my thoughtful comments and questions from readers became overshadowed by CTRL/paste comments asking me to follow a new fashion blog.  Somewhere in between watching a reader obsessively perform late night searches on my blog for fetish terms and being asked to feature flashlights by a potential sponsor, I decided to hop off the style sharing train.  Style sharing/fashion blogging had become a three ring circus and I wasn't interested (and lacked the thick skin) in becoming a profitable "influencer."
So pensive.  The only items I still have are the Dr. Martens
Why would I quit something that brings money?  That could I could possibly do for a living?  Aside from the discomfort of knowing that my audience was no longer limited to people within the style sharing community, I missed the essence of style sharing, which was to help people figure out what clothes look best on them, and makes them feel like fantastic versions of themselves with as little spending as possible.

Fashion blogging in itself isn't sinful.  I started sharing my outfits in order to help others stretch their wardrobes.  I decided to quit when I realized that vanity, greed, and a love of money became a huge presence in traditional fashion blogging.  Below are more reasons I quit fashion blogging from a Biblical perspective.

1. Fashion Blogging discourages individuality.
Style sharing was individual.  Fashion blogging is formulaic.  Brands, sponsors, and the median readers desire specific looks from fashion bloggers.  Most influential fashion bloggers are similar in age, dress size, and income.  The Lord put incredible care and purpose in designing each and every one of us.  The Bible says, "for You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.  I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well." (Psalm 139:13-14 (NASB)) It's insulting to our Creator to try to be like any other person instead of who God desires us to be.  If you aspire to be a top fashion blogger, make sure you're only listening to the Holy Spirit's opinion and convictions on your looks, clothes, poses, etc.  Do not allow your readers and sponsors to tell you you're not special and that you need to be different from who the Lord wants you to be.
2. I didn't want to lie. In the past few years, I've become a minimalist.  At one time, I had two clothes closets and one shoe closet.  All three wardrobes were over flowing.  For the past few years, I've become minimalist and all my clothes and shoes can fit in my dresser with room to spare.  Everything I wear, I love, and is on heavy rotation.  I'm picky with body care and cosmetics.  The ingredients must be very clean and preferably edible.  My streamlined closet and bathroom cabinet means that there are more items I'll pass up rather than allow into my home.  This means that I have to choose between turning down business opportunities or lying to my readers by promoting items I actually do not care for.  The Bible is very clear about lying in saying that, "the Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth." (Proverbs 12:22 New Living Translation (NLT))

3. Fashion Blogging can promote vanity.  When I was in high school, I stopped reading fashion and lifestyle magazines because I realized they always made me feel terrible.  I had begun looking in the mirror and scrutinizing thanks to these magazines.  They told me my looks need improvement.  Even though we're aware of ubiquitous image manipulations in the media, when we fill ourselves up with this falseness and unattainable standards, sooner than later, we will be negatively affected.  It's my belief that the media (tv, magazines, advertisements, and fashion blogs) are the reason why there are 11, 12, 13 year old girls can pass for college age.  These young girls along with everyone else are being told that more makeup, specific clothes, and "knowing your angles" is essential.  Taking care of our appearance isn't sinful, but "a beautiful woman who lacks discretion is like a gold ring in a pig’s snout." (Proverbs 11:22 New Living Translation (NLT))  Good looks are completely wasted on a vain person.  It would be best to make sure we fill ourselves up with substance rather than stare at photoshopped images of people who actually do not exist.

4. Fashion Blogging can promote covetousness.  Just like fashion magazines, fashion blogs are one big advertorial.  In these blogs, we see beautiful images with beautiful people in beautiful locations wearing beautiful things.  If we're not watching our hearts carefully, it's easy to start desiring what we see on the blog and this in turn, will give us discontent.  Life is better when we're satisfied with our portion.  God says “'you shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.'” (Exodus 20:17 (NIV))

Fashion blogging can be a great business opportunity for bloggers and brands.  Fashion blogging can be a great source of fun and inspiration for readers.  However, like everything in life, we must be willing to give it up if it causes us to sin.  When the Holy Spirit specifies to pick something up or place something down, we must always be willing to do as He says.  For me, I'm happy to have quit fashion blogging and I pray you'll listen to whatever the Lord says about it.
Jesus loves you.  Seek Him first, before everything else.
-Alyssa
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Would you like to read/see more?  Let's connect on social media!
Like my Facebook - anomalyssa
Follow my Instagram - alyssaam2
Follow my Pinterest - anomalyssablog

Would you like to share this blog post?  Simply select the email, blog, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest button from the grey box below...

Comments

POPULAR POSTS

FAITH: When I Chose Modesty

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I was extremely immodest. While I was getting ready to go out, my goal was to look as hot as possible and collect as much attention as possible. 

I thought that if I could be the hottest woman in the room, I would be able to capture attention and it would be mine for as long as I wanted. It didn't occur to me that the kind of attention I was seeking is a fleeting kind. In other words, it didn't matter if I was the most beautiful woman that guy had ever seen. The kind of guy who appreciated my immodesty had zero standards whatsoever. He'd hang on my every word until someone else's skin flashed by. He'd flirt with me and then turn around and flirt with every other girl as well. This guy didn't care about whose makeup was better, who was witty, who had better legs, who was nicest, etc. The kind of guy who is attracted to immodesty is only interested in one thing and that's not your heart. This dude has no other standards an…

FAITH: Are You Willing to Give God Anything He Wants?

Push Up popsicles are interesting.  In order to eat more ice cream, you need to literally push up the stick that's connected to the platform in which the ice cream sits.

My toddlers both lack the strength and dexterity to push up their Push Ups, so I have to make myself available to help them out.  One of my boys understands this.  As his ice cream dips below the cardboard container, he'll eagerly hand his treat over so I can push the stick upwards and he can continue eating.  My other boy doesn't yet understand why he needs my help.  He'd rather chew at the cardboard than willingly hand over his treat for two seconds.  Whenever it's time to push up his ice cream, he grips it tight and puts up a fight against me even though my motive is completely for his benefit.  I never take the ice cream for myself, I only obtain the Push Up in order to make it possible for my boys to have more ice cream.  So they don't have to resort to gnawing on soggy cardboard.

This remin…

FAITH: Deuteronomy 24:5

“A newly married man must not be drafted into the army or be given any other official responsibilities. He must be free to spend one year at home, bringing happiness to the wife he has married.” Deuteronomy 24:5 (NLT)
Prior to marrying in 2011, Aaron and I received lots of confirmation from the Lord that we were created to walk this earth together. So when we got married, we were arrogant in thinking that marriage would naturally be easy for us.
We were under the impression that the”honeymoon phase” would be the easiest, most magical time of our marriage. It turns out, that first year was the most difficult.  The both of us had quirks and emotional scars that went unnoticed until marriage.  Also, you don't begin to really get to know someone's ins and outs until you live with them and are forced to work together on day-to-day issues.
I wish we had studied Deuteronomy 24:5 because this verse imparts great advice. Moving into the same home with your husband is a huge eye opener and …

TruJoy Sweets Organic Fruit Chews

Aaron and I do not allow Max and Miles to consume artificial food dyes for a few reasons.This is why I was so excited to discover this sweet vegan treat that has no artificial dyes and flavors, nor corn syrup.
TruJoy Sweets Organic Fruit Chews are so good and we are totally on board with the ingredients list: Organic brown rice syrup, organic dried cane syrup, organic palm oil*, organic tapioca, maltodextrin, organic powdered sugar, citric acid, organic apple juice, natural flavors, colors added (organic turmeric or organic vegetable juice, organic beet juice), organic rice extract, ascorbic acid, organic orange oil. *Sustainably sourced

CLEAN BEAUTY: What's in My Medicine Cabinet?

Here's my medicine cabinet.  As you can see, I'm a big advocate of clean beauty care.  Not pictured is my beloved apple cider vinegar which I use for facial toner and hair conditioner.  I keep a jar of Bragg's out on the bathroom counter so I forgot to include.  You can get read my blog post on ACV here.

Check out what's in my medicine cabinet below...
1.  Rachel's Plan Bee Facial Oil - My favorite skin care expert, Rachel, from Rachel's Plan Bee, sent over some of her delicious minis. Read the blog post here.
2. MSC Lavender & Spearmint Nourishing Lip Cream - I received this chapstick in my Petit Vourbox.  It does the job and perhaps one day I'd repurchase...after I use up all my other chapsticks.
3. We Love Eyes Tea Tree Eyelid & Eyelash Makeup Remover Oil - I use this to remove eye makeup.  Check out my detailed review here.
4. MooGoo Deodorant - I haven't worn the dangerous, aluminum stuff in almost five years.  Review is definitely coming…

How to be a Christian

After reading and becoming intrigued with the Sermon on the Mount, Gandhi went to church…or, he tried, at least.  You see, he couldn't even ascend the steps and cross the threshold into the building without being threatened by one of the "Christian" elders. Gandhi was told that if he didn't leave, he would be thrown down the stairs.
"That's horrible!  I'd never do anything like turn someone away at the church doors," you say.  Have you ever passed over the homeless because it's a really inconvenient time?  Have you ever listened quietly as a heretic teaches non existent or out of context scripture?  Have you ever stopped talking with someone because they no longer attend the same church building as you?  Have you ever published your Facebook post anyway even though you know your heart wasn't speaking in love?  Have you ever said something to someone that wasn't truthful, uplifting, and necessary?  Have you ever made fun of someone at thei…

Link Love 11/10/16

Here are some links I bookmarked this week… 1. A great article about Jesus working on our "emotional scar tissue." 2. Classic Ikea essentials for everybody. 3. This is the most simple-looking cookie recipe I've ever seen and it's flour-less! 4. Finland's interesting approach to educating kindergarteners is a sharp contrast to the U.S. 5. I'm all heart eyed emoji over my dream home. 6. Throw out all your dangerous non stick cookware and get yourself this.

Himalayan Natural Crystal Salt Rock

Technology brings so much convenience to our lives.  That's why you can't walk into a typical American household without spotting at least one dozen helpful devices.  Some wireless electronic equipment, however, can also cause us harm like headaches, tumors, and fatigue.  This is a huge reason we use Himalayan salt crystals.  I noticed I always feel extremely tired and irritable after spending a long period of time in our office.  That's when I realized how much electronics are in that small room - laptop, wireless desktop monitor, charging phone and tablet, and printer/scanner.  I can't imagine this is unlike most people's homes that I know.
Himalayan natural crystal salt rocks offer many benefits like air purifying and allergy fighting. 

I went with these salt rocks instead of a Himalayan natural crystal salt rock lamp so I could pair them with my beeswax candles for double the health benefits.  There isn't much of a scent to either the candles or the salt rock…

FAITH: Joshua 12

I'm going through the First5 online study and we're currently in Joshua.  In coming upon the twelfth chapter of Joshua, we find it reads a long list of king's names who were defeated by Israel.  It's easy for our eyes to skim over this chapter but we must consider that it's here for a reason.

It's good for us to take detailed lists of praise reports and victories in Christ.  Reason being, when we're in a valley and unable to see past our enemies, we can remember the great things the Lord has already done.  We can be encouraged that He's going to keep us moving forward and that the troubles we're currently facing are puny to Him. Remembering our past victories with the Lord can give us hope for the future.

Thank you for reading!  Jesus loves You!
-Alyssa


Would you like to read/see more?  Let's connect on social media!
Like my Facebook - anomalyssa
Follow my Instagram - alyssaam2
Follow my Pinterest - anomalyssablog

Would you like to share this …