Skip to main content

How to be a Christian

(image)
After reading and becoming intrigued with the Sermon on the Mount, Gandhi went to church…or, he tried, at least.  You see, he couldn't even ascend the steps and cross the threshold into the building without being threatened by one of the "Christian" elders. Gandhi was told that if he didn't leave, he would be thrown down the stairs.

"That's horrible!  I'd never do anything like turn someone away at the church doors," you say.  Have you ever passed over the homeless because it's a really inconvenient time?  Have you ever listened quietly as a heretic teaches non existent or out of context scripture?  Have you ever stopped talking with someone because they no longer attend the same church building as you?  Have you ever published your Facebook post anyway even though you know your heart wasn't speaking in love?  Have you ever said something to someone that wasn't truthful, uplifting, and necessary?  Have you ever made fun of someone at their expense?

I don't know about you, but I'm guilty of most of these things and more.  I've turned Gandhi off from Christianity.  I've misrepresented Jesus.  I've prolonged someone's pain and bondage and I've reiterated their refusal in accepting the One who can heal, forgive, and offer eternal life.  

What can we do to properly represent Jesus and encourage others to follow Him?  

First, we need to repent.  Read Exodus 20 and turn away from what God calls sin.  Does this mean we're going to be perfect?  Nope.  Strong Christians still sin.  Until we're in Heaven, we're in fallen bodies.  It should be noted that some people (not Christians) are comfortable in their sin.  They'll keep signing up for it without remorse. This is alarming in that if the Holy Spirit is actually inhibiting you as He does with Christians - He will convict you when you sin.  He will make you uncomfortable with your sin, nudging (but never forcing) you to repentance.  If you're ever comfortable with sinning, make sure you immediately have a heart to heart with the Lord.

Next, we need to do what we're commanded in Matthew 22:36-40. We must love God above all and then love others the way we love ourselves.  This covers all of God's commandments and ensures we're treating people the way Jesus does.  Never underestimate love.  There's nothing more powerful.  If you want to do incredible things for the Lord's kingdom, always lead with love, like Jesus.

Finally, we must find out who Jesus is.  How do you get to know someone?  You spend time with them.  You listen to them.  You pontificate their words, actions, and steps.  We must read the Bible and talk with Jesus (pray).  When I was surrounded by legalism a while back, I read scripture involving how Jesus handled the Pharisees and conducted Himself around them.  Studying how Jesus responds to my situation helps me understand Him on a deeper level.

Can you imagine the incredible impact we would have on the world if every Christian acted like Christ?  I, for one, will be praying for the Lord to instill in me more love and patience for others, as well as self control over my speech.  Wherever you are in your walk with the Lord, I'm sure you would agree that we all need to be more like Him.  It seems as if every zeitgeist is more volatile than the last.  That means everyone - believer and non believer, equally, needs Jesus' love.


Comments

POPULAR POSTS

FAITH: When I Chose Modesty

When I was in my teens and early 20s, I was extremely immodest. While I was getting ready to go out, my goal was to look as hot as possible and collect as much attention as possible. 

I thought that if I could be the hottest woman in the room, I would be able to capture attention and it would be mine for as long as I wanted. It didn't occur to me that the kind of attention I was seeking is a fleeting kind. In other words, it didn't matter if I was the most beautiful woman that guy had ever seen. The kind of guy who appreciated my immodesty had zero standards whatsoever. He'd hang on my every word until someone else's skin flashed by. He'd flirt with me and then turn around and flirt with every other girl as well. This guy didn't care about whose makeup was better, who was witty, who had better legs, who was nicest, etc. The kind of guy who is attracted to immodesty is only interested in one thing and that's not your heart. This dude has no other standards an…

FAITH: Are You Willing to Give God Anything He Wants?

Push Up popsicles are interesting.  In order to eat more ice cream, you need to literally push up the stick that's connected to the platform in which the ice cream sits.

My toddlers both lack the strength and dexterity to push up their Push Ups, so I have to make myself available to help them out.  One of my boys understands this.  As his ice cream dips below the cardboard container, he'll eagerly hand his treat over so I can push the stick upwards and he can continue eating.  My other boy doesn't yet understand why he needs my help.  He'd rather chew at the cardboard than willingly hand over his treat for two seconds.  Whenever it's time to push up his ice cream, he grips it tight and puts up a fight against me even though my motive is completely for his benefit.  I never take the ice cream for myself, I only obtain the Push Up in order to make it possible for my boys to have more ice cream.  So they don't have to resort to gnawing on soggy cardboard.

This remin…

FAITH: A Biblical Perspective on Why I Quit Fashion Blogging

Back in 2007-ish, when I religiously followed StyleBytes, Weardrobe, Flickr's Wardrobe Remix, and Style Bubble, I started my first blog.  At first, it was silly ruminations and random writing, but soon enough, I began sharing my daily outfits.
The term we now know as "fashion blogging" was called "style sharing" back then.  For the most part, it was a small community of teens and early 20-somethings without money who shared their creativity in making the most of their wardrobes.  We did this by thrifting, fast fashion (Forever 21 and the likes), DIY-ing, and trading closets with one another.  We taught each other to wear dresses backwards, cut up tights to create makeshift sleeves, and how to borrow from men's (and sometimes children's) departments in order to have more (inexpensive) options.
The style sharing community encouraged individuality, money saving, and how to have fun with what one already has in their wardrobe.  I learned that my personal…

FAITH: Deuteronomy 24:5

“A newly married man must not be drafted into the army or be given any other official responsibilities. He must be free to spend one year at home, bringing happiness to the wife he has married.” Deuteronomy 24:5 (NLT)
Prior to marrying in 2011, Aaron and I received lots of confirmation from the Lord that we were created to walk this earth together. So when we got married, we were arrogant in thinking that marriage would naturally be easy for us.
We were under the impression that the”honeymoon phase” would be the easiest, most magical time of our marriage. It turns out, that first year was the most difficult.  The both of us had quirks and emotional scars that went unnoticed until marriage.  Also, you don't begin to really get to know someone's ins and outs until you live with them and are forced to work together on day-to-day issues.
I wish we had studied Deuteronomy 24:5 because this verse imparts great advice. Moving into the same home with your husband is a huge eye opener and …

TruJoy Sweets Organic Fruit Chews

Aaron and I do not allow Max and Miles to consume artificial food dyes for a few reasons.This is why I was so excited to discover this sweet vegan treat that has no artificial dyes and flavors, nor corn syrup.
TruJoy Sweets Organic Fruit Chews are so good and we are totally on board with the ingredients list: Organic brown rice syrup, organic dried cane syrup, organic palm oil*, organic tapioca, maltodextrin, organic powdered sugar, citric acid, organic apple juice, natural flavors, colors added (organic turmeric or organic vegetable juice, organic beet juice), organic rice extract, ascorbic acid, organic orange oil. *Sustainably sourced

CLEAN BEAUTY: What's in My Medicine Cabinet?

Here's my medicine cabinet.  As you can see, I'm a big advocate of clean beauty care.  Not pictured is my beloved apple cider vinegar which I use for facial toner and hair conditioner.  I keep a jar of Bragg's out on the bathroom counter so I forgot to include.  You can get read my blog post on ACV here.

Check out what's in my medicine cabinet below...
1.  Rachel's Plan Bee Facial Oil - My favorite skin care expert, Rachel, from Rachel's Plan Bee, sent over some of her delicious minis. Read the blog post here.
2. MSC Lavender & Spearmint Nourishing Lip Cream - I received this chapstick in my Petit Vourbox.  It does the job and perhaps one day I'd repurchase...after I use up all my other chapsticks.
3. We Love Eyes Tea Tree Eyelid & Eyelash Makeup Remover Oil - I use this to remove eye makeup.  Check out my detailed review here.
4. MooGoo Deodorant - I haven't worn the dangerous, aluminum stuff in almost five years.  Review is definitely coming…

Link Love 11/10/16

Here are some links I bookmarked this week… 1. A great article about Jesus working on our "emotional scar tissue." 2. Classic Ikea essentials for everybody. 3. This is the most simple-looking cookie recipe I've ever seen and it's flour-less! 4. Finland's interesting approach to educating kindergarteners is a sharp contrast to the U.S. 5. I'm all heart eyed emoji over my dream home. 6. Throw out all your dangerous non stick cookware and get yourself this.

Himalayan Natural Crystal Salt Rock

Technology brings so much convenience to our lives.  That's why you can't walk into a typical American household without spotting at least one dozen helpful devices.  Some wireless electronic equipment, however, can also cause us harm like headaches, tumors, and fatigue.  This is a huge reason we use Himalayan salt crystals.  I noticed I always feel extremely tired and irritable after spending a long period of time in our office.  That's when I realized how much electronics are in that small room - laptop, wireless desktop monitor, charging phone and tablet, and printer/scanner.  I can't imagine this is unlike most people's homes that I know.
Himalayan natural crystal salt rocks offer many benefits like air purifying and allergy fighting. 

I went with these salt rocks instead of a Himalayan natural crystal salt rock lamp so I could pair them with my beeswax candles for double the health benefits.  There isn't much of a scent to either the candles or the salt rock…

FAITH: Joshua 12

I'm going through the First5 online study and we're currently in Joshua.  In coming upon the twelfth chapter of Joshua, we find it reads a long list of king's names who were defeated by Israel.  It's easy for our eyes to skim over this chapter but we must consider that it's here for a reason.

It's good for us to take detailed lists of praise reports and victories in Christ.  Reason being, when we're in a valley and unable to see past our enemies, we can remember the great things the Lord has already done.  We can be encouraged that He's going to keep us moving forward and that the troubles we're currently facing are puny to Him. Remembering our past victories with the Lord can give us hope for the future.

Thank you for reading!  Jesus loves You!
-Alyssa


Would you like to read/see more?  Let's connect on social media!
Like my Facebook - anomalyssa
Follow my Instagram - alyssaam2
Follow my Pinterest - anomalyssablog

Would you like to share this …